Save Your Scissors
This lecture & demo is available in person or online.
You will learn everything you need to know about how to design for DIY cutting. My DIY cutter of choice is a Cricut, but this information is also applicable for Silhouettes and other at-home cutting machines.
Covered in this program:
- What app to use on your iPad for drawing
- What settings to use on your iPad to help cut down on time required for editing once you move to Illustrator
- How to start drawing overlap on your iPad to help cut down on editing time in Illustrator
- How to correctly export your file so it's editable in Illustrator
- Recommendations for Android alternatives
- How to "clean-up" the exported iPad file (by reducing the number of points without distorting your drawing) to make it manageable for editing
- How to quickly turn your drawing into a colored picture made up of complete shapes
- How to set up artboards in Illustrator to match Cricut's software and cutting mats
- What to do & settings to use when making files for Cricut's software
- Digital drawing alternative: How to draw, scan, and upload hand-drawn designs
- How to import your exported Illustrator files
- The correct blade-pressure settings to use for cutting
- How to prepare your fabric for cutting
- Recommendations on blade types, sticky mats, and types of fabric that will give you the best cuts, and where to purchase supplies
- How to keep track of your pieces once they're cut
- Live demo of Cricut cutting (Unavailable for online version of this class)
Available As A Video Lecture Series
Through October 2021, I am teaching this class as a six-part series through Patreon. Each month from May through October, I'll release an instructional video that explains in detail how to do the part of the process we're covering that month. Any Patrons subscribed to the Aeronaut tier will also have access to a LiveStream event, during which I'll broadcast myself doing the same process as described in the instructional video. The video will demonstrate how to do it and in the LiveStream I'll show you how I do it in real time.
LiveStreams are also interractive. Anyone tuning in can use the chat to ask me questions during the event, and I can answer by replying to the camera.
This is the schedule:
- May: How to Draw in Concepts App for Quilt Design
- June: How to Make a Full-Color Template in Illustrator
- July: How to Add Overlap and Prepare Design for a Cutting Machine
- August: How to Choose Fabric and Cut on a Cutting Machine (Note: The video demonstrating my Mod Podge Technique is already uploaded and available on Patreon. It would normally take place during this step of the process.)
- September: How to Assemble the Cut Fabric Pieces
- October: Kestrel's Stitch Theory
To View This Lecture Series
Sign up to the Aeronaut Tier on my Patreon. All videos and LiveStream recordings will be available to that tier as I release them, and the entire class will be available after October.